Sydney has had some record breaking hot weather recently. This is a little bit of a deterrent for those wanting to enjoy the summer months. We risk heat exhaustion and sunburn if we stay outside for any length of time.
Visitors to Australia, or residents visiting anywhere hot can take a few precautions that help in the Summer Sun:
- Avoid exercise during the middle of the day. Early morning or evening temperatures are better if you want to go jogging. Else, try an air conditioned gym
- Swimming is a great alternative to jogging when it is hot. But always have supervision or at least a few fellow swimmers.
- Always have water at hand. Keep hydrated. 2 to 3 litres a day is reasonable.
- Make sure you have a sufficient amount of salt in your system. If you drink too much water you will flush all the salt out of the body and risk a physical collapse.
- Wear sunscreen at all times. SPF30+
- Wear a hat whenever possible
- Get a good pair of UV 100% sunglasses and wear whenever outdoors
- Light coloured clothing that is breathable will help you stay cool. White cotton is good.
- A water Spray helps you stay cooler, though you don’t want to wash sunscreen off.
- A portable fan – battery powered- can be great. Some will attach to a phone or USB outlet.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks, which seem to heat us up and slightly dehydrate us. Tea isn’t too bad.
- Spicy food actually helps us sweat, which cools us off. But we do lose more water this way.
- A small tent it great for shelter at the beach or a picnic. If the tent is wet the evaporation will help cool the interior.
- An umbrella or parasol can add to the sunshade.
Airport Shuttle Bus Sydney
A shuttle is a great option for the airport, for the Sydney cruise terminal, or for a day trip in Sydney.